Long Range Camping Excursion to Narrogin, Forrestania, Ravensthorpe and the Stirling Ranges
The Club’s long range camping excursion to Ravensthorpe and several other places starts on Thursday September 5 when we are due to meet at the Narrogin Caravan Park.
The short itinerary is Narrogin, Lake Cronin east of Hyden, Ravensthorpe, Quaalup Homestead and the Stirling Ranges, with all roads suitable for on-road caravans and 2WD vehicles, although some care may need to be taken when accessing the Lake Cronin campsite. As always, it is quite OK for people to join us during the trip and to leave before the planned end date, but I need to know what your comings and goings will be so that I have reasonably accurate numbers to pass on to our hosts.
If you wish to join this excursion, can you therefore please let me know:
* your name and how many in your group (if you’re joining us).
* whether you have a 2WD or 4WD vehicle
* what type of accommodation you’re bringing with you – tent, caravan, camper trailer, camper van, etc
* whether you need electricity or not
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 0408 944 242 ASAP!
The cost of the nights we’ll be staying in paid accommodation will vary from about $15 to $38 per night so, over the 13 nights we’ll be staying in caravan parks or similar, the total cost should average about $25 per night for a total cost be no more than $325.00. The longest distance between fuel stops will be about 500km when we drive east of Hyden into the Greater Western Woodlands but, if this distance is beyond your vehicle’s range, people will be able to drive back to Hyden to refuel, reducing the maximum distance between fuel stops to about 300km.
A more detailed itinerary for this camp is:
Thursday September 5 – arrive at Narrogin Caravan Park in the afternoon.
Friday September 6 – in Narrogin to explore Railway Dam, Highbury Reserve, the Narrogin arboretum, etc
Saturday September 7 – guided walk over the Fox’s Lair reserve with Doug Sawkins leading us.
– evening meal with the Great Southern Naturalists Club on either Friday or Saturday night
Sunday September 8 – depart via Hyden, meet up with Ann Storrie, visit to Wave Rock for those who are interested, travel to Lake Cronin or nearby to camp
Monday September 9 – explore the Lake Johnson area looking for wildflowers and tektites
Tuesday September 10 – explore the Lake Cronin area (possible nickel mine tour)
Wednesday September 11 – depart for Ravensthorpe caravan park via Lake King
– activities in and around Ravensthorpe include: Kundip gold mine, Ravensthorpe wildflower show, Ravensthorpe Range, walks around the eastern end of the Fitzgerald River National Park
Sunday September 15 – depart for Quaalup Homestead near Bremer Bay
– activities while staying at Quaalup include: whales at Point Anne, wildflower walks around the western end of the Fitzgerald River National Park, possible visit to Bremer Bay
Wednesday September 18 – depart for Mt Trio caravan park on the north side of the Stirling Ranges
– activities while staying at Mt Trio include: a guided wildflower and orchid walk ($20), walks to the top of various mountains including Bluff Knoll and Mt Trio, lunch at The Lily Dutch Windmill cafe
Saturday September 21 – depart for home or join Bernie and Carolina at their bush block north west of Kojonup for 2 or 3 nights
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. At this stage, we could have up to 20 people in 12 vehicles so it will be a very social camping excursion.
M 0408 944 242